So hey, all y’all out there in blog-land: It’s almost April, so you know what that means! Autism $peaks is gonna be asking y’all to Light It Up Blue.
Therefore I am here to ask you to just not.
Please don’t do it.
But why? you ask.
This is because
- Autism $peaks is a hate group whose work actively harms autistic people
- They advocate for the use of ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis), which is a form of abuse that leaves most autistics who undergo it with bad cases of PTSD
- They treat autism as a tragedy and a disease that must be eradicated at all costs
- When an autistic child is murdered by their parents, they sympathise with the parents
- There are no autistic people on their board, and when autistic people ask them to change what they do, they refuse
- They support the work of the Judge Rothenberg Center, which uses electroshock and other “treatments” that are little more than torture
- They refuse to acknowledge that autism is a valid way of being and instead work towards the erasure of autism and autistics by insisting on looking for “cures” (PSA: there is no “cure” for autism; it’s a neurology, not a disease)
- The blue color is taken from the fact that boys are more likely to be diagnosed with autism, not because autism actually affects more boys but because the diagnostic criteria don’t acknowledge the way autism presents in girls (PSA: it presents differently in girls than in boys in a lot of cases) so on top of all the other wonderful things they do, they’re sexist
- Only about 4% of the money they raise goes to actually benefitting actual autistic people
So please, please, please:
Don’t light it up blue.
We’re not colored lights.
We’re not puzzle pieces.
We’re not tragedies.
We’re not diseased.
We don’t need to be “cured.”
We’re autistic. Our brains work differently, that’s all.
And we’re just as human as anybody else.